The Katie Haines Memorial Trust and Dominic Rodgers Trust exist because of tragic accidents.  Their work is inspired by the lives of the loved ones they have lost.  The mission is to raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide and to prevent unnecessary loss of life.  Both charities are run by committed groups of individuals but rely on the help of other people to ensure the dangers of carbon monoxide are prominent in people’s minds – most notably the vulnerable groups in society such as the elderly and university students living in low cost accommodation..

Katie Haines (nee Samuel) was born on 31 January 1979.  She was the daughter of Gordon and Avril Samuel and married Richard Haines on 12 December 2009. On 18 February 2010, just two months after her wedding, she died tragically of accidental Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning at her home.  The Katie Haines Memorial Trust was founded in 2010 by Katie’s husband Richard and her family to promote awareness of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide and in time support and promote other charities that would have been close to Katie’s heart.

Dominic Rodgers was just 10 years old in 2004 when he became a victim to carbon monoxide poisoning due to a neighbour’s faulty flue. Since then his mother Stacey Rodgers has been campaigning to make others aware of the dangers, explain the importance of knowing the signs, and encouraging everyone to ensure they have a working carbon monoxide alarm.